Noel D. Massie
In memory of our dear friend and colleague of over 25 years.
Noel David Massie
September 23, 1949 – February 15, 2022
- Author or co-author of numerous federal appellate briefs, including: Sixth Circuit brief in retiree health insurance litigation brought (in the pre-Tackett era) by a class of 3000 hourly employees to challenge their employer’s attempt to “cap” the level of collectively bargained health benefits; Sixth Circuit brief in case that enforced arbitration clause in a major Detroit law firm’s partnership agreement, thereby precluding a disgruntled partner’s attempt to sue under discrimination statutes; District of Columbia Circuit brief in case that reversed a National Labor Relations Board decision that would have undone employer’s implementation of a modified healthcare plan-- because the Board erroneously concluded that no impasse existed at the time the new plan was implemented.
- Author or co-author of numerous Michigan appellate briefs, including: Michigan Supreme Court brief for employer in case that established gatekeeper rules for expert testimony and overturned a $21 million jury verdict for a single sexual harassment plaintiff; Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court (opposing application for leave to appeal) briefs in case that rejected employee’s post-arbitration claims that sex and race discrimination motivated her employer’s decision to discharge her; Michigan Supreme Court brief successfully arguing that the arbitration clause in a law firm’s operating agreement must be read to encompass tort claims against individual principals who were acting as agents carrying out the business of the firm; Michigan Court of Appeals and Michigan Supreme Court briefs on behalf of a multi-county circuit court addressing critical public policy issues concerning the funding of Michigan trial courts.
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association