Eric J. Pelton
Mr. Pelton is a founding member of the firm, and serves as its managing partner. He has tried, arbitrated, and mediated cases throughout the country, and has extensive class action experience. Mr. Pelton is committed to the bar and to his community.
Mr. Pelton is a fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers and has been identified by Chambers USA as a leader in the employment field in Michigan. Super Lawyers identifies Mr. Pelton as one of the top 50 litigation attorneys in Michigan. He earned his law degree and an MPA from Syracuse University in 1987, where he served as an Executive Editor of the Law Review. He has a BA from Michigan State University.
In 2015, he was recognized by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as a “leader in the law” for being an attorney who is changing the law, improving the profession, and setting an example for other lawyers. Mr. Pelton is currently a second-term member of the Michigan Board of Law Examiners, and previously served on the Michigan Board of State Canvassers. Mr. Pelton was appointed by the Michigan Supreme Court to serve on the State Bar of Michigan’s Board of Commissioners, and later served on its 21st Century Practice Task Force. He is a past President and Trustee Emeritus of the Oakland County Bar Foundation, and currently serves on the Board of the Methodist Children’s Home Society.
- Jury Trials. Mr. Pelton has successfully tried cases to juries on behalf of numerous clients in the automotive, beverage, restaurant and food service, garment, medical, radio and television, and retail industries in the federal and state courts in Michigan, Kentucky, and Wisconsin.
- Class Actions. He has an active class action practice. Among other recent successful defenses of FLSA collective actions, he was lead counsel representing a major retailer in defeating certification of a putative class of 75,000 employees and former employees alleging off-the-clock work and denial of breaks.
- Arbitration and Mediation. He has arbitrated numerous labor relations cases as well as non-union discrimination, FMLA, and executive contract claims. He has successfully enforced pre-dispute arbitration agreements for employers in a half dozen states and mediated scores of cases throughout the country.
- Appellate. He has argued in the Michigan Supreme Court and represented employers in the intermediate appellate courts of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois. He has also handled appeals in the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Sixth, Seventh, and D.C. Circuits.
- Administrative. He has represented employers on federal and state law administrative matters in over a dozen States and in the District of Columbia.
- Restrictive Covenants. He has represented the interests of employers in non-compete and trade secret litigation in the federal and state courts in Michigan, New York, Ohio, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. These cases have involved such industries as insurance, real estate, automotive, computers, medical, chemical, and sports equipment.
- Election Law. He has represented a major political party and judicial, mayoral, and other candidates in the federal and state courts in Michigan.
- State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- Michigan Board of Law Examiners (appointed by Michigan Governor Snyder): March 2011-Present
- Michigan Board of State Canvassers: 2002-2005
- State Bar of Michigan * 21st Century Practice Task Force (appointed by State Bar President): 2015-2016 * Commissioner: 2006-2009 * Member, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- Oakland County Bar Foundation * Trustee: 2009-Present * Executive Committee: 2011-2016 * President: 2014-201
- Methodist Children’s Home Society * Board member: 2017-Present * Governance Committee: 2017-Present
- Federalist Society * Labor and Employment Section, National Executive Committee: 2009-2014 * Michigan Chapter of Federalist Society * Director: 1993-1999 * President: 1998 * Board of Advisors: 1999-Present
- Michigan State University * National Alumni Board Committee Member: 2007-2009 * College of Social Science Alumni Association * Board Member: 1995-2007 * President: 1999-2001