Sarah L. Nirenberg
Sarah Nirenberg specializes in representing employers for litigation in all areas of employment law, including statutory claims under federal and state law for discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and payment of wages. She has experience representing large and small business across different industries, as well as public institutions. She advises employers on various matters where the law is constantly evolving, such as employment applications, arbitration agreements, and workplace drug policies. She also helps guide employers through complex wage and hour law as well as investigations conducted by the Department of Labor.
She brings a wealth of trial advocacy and investigatory skills to her practice from having served as an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office. Outside the courtroom, she uses these skills to conduct sensitive workplace investigations for her clients. Her use of technology and ingenuity has led to obtaining information critical to successfully disposing cases.
She graduated cum laude from Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, where she was a member of the National Moot Court Team and an Executive Articles Editor of the Jurisprudence Review. She received her bachelor’s degree from Michigan State University, where she was a student-athlete on the Varsity Women’s Golf Team.
- As a prosecuting attorney, she tried over 25 bench and jury trials.
- Obtained judgment overturning a jury verdict for a small medical practice in an age discrimination case.
- Obtained summary judgment for a global supplier of automotive systems in a lawsuit alleging violations of FMLA, age discrimination, and disability discrimination.
- Obtained summary disposition in the Court of Claims for a public university in a lawsuit brought by a large private hospital for indemnification and contribution on a judgment over one million dollars.
- Obtained summary judgment for a public university in a lawsuit alleging violations of national origin discrimination.
- Published numerous articles on the impact on employers of legalized medicinal and recreational marijuana.
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- State Bar of Michigan
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel